Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Truth in lights

Last night I had a nose bleed for no apparent reason. I’ve been known to get serious, gushing nosebleeds in times of extreme stress, but this was just a regular-it’s-too-dry-in-here nosebleed.

I was in front of the computer editing pictures and holding a tissue covered finger up my nose when I heard a slight knock on our door. Mind you, I was fully visible to anyone walking up to our front porch because I have yet to select window coverings for our first floor. Great... to a bystander it looked like “a pick, not a scratch.”

It occurred to me pretty quickly that we’d just been Booed again and I called the kids down to open the door. They did and we could hear the high pitched whisper of a neighbor’s golf cart rolling away. The neighbor, who now assumes I pick my nose while editing pictures, left a bag full of goodies.

Within the bag of treats were glow sticks. The kids had them cracked and glowing within five minutes. As I went into my bathroom I noticed a green glow stick behind one of the faucets. It seemed odd that Alex would leave his glow stick just lying around, but I thought it was just another thing left behind for me to pick up. I washed my hands and turned off the light and it looked like Slimer had used the facilities.
Glowing globs of green were everywhere. The hand towel was the best. I could almost make out Alex's fingerprints.

I called Alex in and asked if---just by chance---he might have bitten, broken, or otherwise cracked open his glow stick in my bathroom. “No. Why?!” I flicked off the light.

Big smirk, the one he inherited from his dad, “Well maybe…I might have…All right, yeah I did. Sorry.”

If only every fib left behind this kind of evidence….

No comments: