Thursday, October 1, 2009

Maybe I should carry a notebook...

I’ve driven myself crazy since Tuesday.

Once in awhile something will happen to me and I’ll write a post in my head. I cringe typing that because it sounds like I think I’m a writer with a deadline for a column. In reality my only deadline is making sure Brandon has enough clean boxers when he packs for the week on Sunday night.

Anyway, something happened to me as I was walking out of Target Tuesday afternoon. Something funny, because I remember laughing to---or at---myself and thinking I wanted to write about it. For the life of me I can’t remember what it was. Normal people would just let it go and move on with carpool, but it’s driving me up the wall.

Here’s my attempt at moving forward.

Compared to the previous two weeks, this week has been delightfully boring. I’m fully engrossed in the third book of the "Twilight" series, so that occupies my hands and keeps me from eating through my pantry. It also keeps me from the laundry, so my deadline may be tight this week.

It’s beautiful outside, so Meredith and I have hung out it the backyard and in our driveway, “like hillbillies” according to Brandon. He hates when I drag out lawn chairs and sit on the driveway. He should try riding a bike with training wheels in the backyard.

I did a little shopping on Tuesday and fell head over heels in love with a pillow at Marshall’s.

It was on clearance, and of course they only had one. I called every Marshall’s and T.J. Maxx between Indy and the North Pole. No one else seems to have an errant pillow and let me tell you, the crackerjack staff at either retail outlet is dying to look for my beloved pillow! I found the pillow on-line but it’s $50. I paid $20 and as a matter of principal…

In the mean time, my neighbor, who is an interior designer, came over and I immediately shoved the pillow at her and begged her to help my sorry living room. She suggested I paint one of our living room walls a shade of magenta to match the flowers in the pillow. Annie is totally in on my plan and we’re going to see how long it takes Brandon to notice. I’m certain he’s going to be thrilled with a near hot pink wall. I hinted the winds of change might be blowing last night during our nightly phone call. He wanted more details and I pretended the phone cut out.

Brandon’s birthday is Saturday. The bakery where I normally buy his cakes closes at 4:00 p.m. which doesn’t allow Alex time to go with Meredith and me to pick out the cake. Alex asked me to pick him up early from school under the guise of a dentist appointment. I told him that wasn’t a viable option, so he settled for the promise a cookie…with icing.

Brandon took the day off tomorrow and Meredith has school. We’re hoping to have our first uninterrupted meal together since the middle of July. Afterwards, we’ll probably do something really romantic like pick up air filters for the furnace at Lowe’s. Big day.

1 comment:

Penny Pickles said...

oh yes - Brandon will come home one weekend and be "Wowed" by our little touches - I am counting down the days until after Christmas!!!!

Happy Belated Birthday Brandon!