Wednesday, October 21, 2009

This Little Piggy can't make up her mind...


I am a strange mix of stubborn and indecisive. I didn’t realize this until I had kids. Oh I knew I was stubborn, I just didn’t think I was unable to make a decision quickly.

When I worked in my parents’ appliance store as a teenager, I would go nuts when waiting on some lady who couldn’t decide between a Maytag and a White Westinghouse. I would loose it. Under my breath and from the safety of the office--but still I had absolutely no patience for “women who fiddle around and can’t make a decision.”

Two things have changed. 1.) I know how important it is to pick the right appliances, because your husband is going to make you keep them until the end of time. 2.) I had children.

Like everyone else I worry about making the right decisions for our kids. Some stuff I worry about is just ridiculous and won’t affect the fiber of their being in any way, shape, or form. (For example, I’ve been deciding on a gymnastics class for Meredith for the last three weeks.) Some stuff is more important and I do my best to steer them in the right direction and give them a solid foundation. I find myself doubting decisions left and right.

My latest bout of indecisiveness is surrounding the H1N1 vaccine. I have been wringing my hands and calling everyone I know to ask for their opinions. I have become one of those women who can’t make up their mind.

A week ago, I was vehemently opposed to vaccinating the kids against yet another strand of flu. They’ve already had their seasonal flu vaccines, and I kept hearing from people who had H1N1 and lived to tell their story. “Really no worse than a bad cold” “More of a nuisance than anything.”

Then Dr. Nancy Snyderman, the medical expert from “The Today Show” said something that caught my ear. That’s right; nothing our trusted pediatrician said moved me. I ignored what all of our friends who happen to be physicians or work within the medical field have said. It took someone on TV to raise my alert level. What have I become?! I really hope she’s an actual physician.

Anyway, Dr. Snyderman explained the reason the young are getting nailed by this virus is because it’s completely foreign to their immune systems. Unlike a “regular” flu, this one jumped species. Oh, that didn’t sound good! I started to pay attention. Then, Dr. Snyderman talked about the rapidity of the virus. I put down my coffee. A child could go from having a headache and cold symptoms, to being in the hospital on a ventilator in a short amount of time. Holy crap! Those with asthma are at an even greater risk. Alex has "seaonal-allergy induced asthmatic episodes." Does that count?! It does! Gulp!
Our school district is holding an H1N1 inoculation clinic this weekend. I had no intention of waiting in a cattle line where I would probably catch something else. I said as much to everyone who asked. Guess who’s eating her words? At least today I am. I may see a different news report and change my mind.

1 comment:

Angie said...

I've gone back and forth so many times too and had to laugh while reading this because I saw the same Nancy Snyderman interview. Of course, our ped doesn't even have the darn thing so until they do I guess we're unvaccinated.