Monday, June 23, 2008

Ballet and Bruises

Would you believe those legs belong to the sweet girl in the middle? Well rounded isn't she.

Meredith had her dance recital Saturday and I was sorry our family missed the dress rehearsal. It went better. Meredith was nearly impossible to put to bed after my parents arrived Friday night. Meredith was barely awake for the recital and it was obvious even from the balcony. Next year, I’m going to put her to bed before our guests arrive.

After the recital we went to lunch, and then Meredith slept in a dance coma for three hours. When she woke from her nap, GramPam and Trophy taught her to play wiffle ball. Now, we are not an athletic family by any stretch, unless being fairly decent at golf counts. For whatever reason, Meredith seems to have a natural baseball stance and smacked one ball after another. Alex had little interest in playing and was committed to roasting marshmallows for s’mores.

Meredith was happy to eat them.

We might be asked to leave our neighborhood. My stepfather, “Trophy” built Brandon and Alex a potato cannon. They promised to shoot one potato and I think there are three left in the bag. If it was smaller I might be able to hide it, but I have a feeling I’m in for a summer of idiotic booms.
My parents left Sunday morning and the kids went with my in-laws to see a play. They saw Peter Pan and Alex wasn’t thrilled about going. This wasn’t his first time seeing it, and he let us know. “OH COME ON!!! I’ve seen Peter Pan in every theatre in Indiana!!!” Too bad. Brandon and I wanted to shop for a couch in peace.

After Brandon dropped off the kids, he stopped at the nursery again and came home with more plants. He asked if I wanted to help plant and I pretended not to hear him.

The rest of the day we shopped for furniture, once again unsuccessfully. I’ve come to the conclusion that we’ll never find a table that coordinates in anyway with our kitchen and no one makes a madras plaid sectional that is both comfortable and indestructible.

No comments: