Thursday, June 12, 2008

Hairrands

First thing this morning I was near tears. While I was pouring cereal and cutting cantaloupe, I turned on the news and was blindsided with the story about the Boy Scout camp in Iowa. I don’t know any of those boys or their families, but I am a mom and can’t imagine what those parents are going through. I said a prayer out loud, which always catches the kids’ attention.

Alex quickly snapped me out of my funk by smelling my coffee, wagging his eyebrows and saying in a terrible southern accent, “Smells good. Think I might have me a cup.” I laughed and he said, “I knew that would get you.” Bless his soul.

I got a much overdue haircut today. I missed my regular eight week appointment when we were in HH, and I couldn’t get in for another four weeks. Twelve weeks of hair is a lot for me. My hair grows out not down. Two more days, and my hair might not have fit in the van.

The kids went to my in-laws for the afternoon, so I made a mad dash to the mall to finish Father’s Day shopping. Once again, my gifts lack any sort of creativity. I also had to pick up a Civil War related birthday gift. Alex is going to a so themed birthday party over the weekend. This is not a joke.

As we drove home this afternoon, we saw one of our newish neighbors out walking his dog. The guy faithfully walks his dog several times a day. Rolly is lucky to see the path once or twice a week. He waved, we waved back and the name game started. None of us can remember his name. We think it’s Bob, but we’re uncertain. Meredith said, “Oh yeah, it is Bob and his wife’s name is Wendy.” For some of you that will be totally obscure, but if you have a small boy in your house you know exactly why that’s funny.

1 comment:

michelleb said...

Our school's custodian is Bob, and Marni always asks, "Where's Wendy?" I think its the fact that he carries a mass of keys on his belt!