Monday, June 30, 2008

It was a zoo!

70 and sunny is great, just not on the last day of June. The last day in June is supposed to be muggy and perfect for the pool. We aren’t supposed to wear sweatshirts to tennis lessons. When we got dressed this morning, Meredith said “Winter is back?” Honestly. It was 59 degrees when we left this morning.

We played in our yard until the swings became boring and the chalk wore down to nubs. Spontaneously, I decided we would spend the afternoon at the zoo. I realized we were sacrificing Meredith’s nap, but I was about to loose my marbles reminding small children why we couldn’t go to the pool…even though the pools are heated.

We got to the zoo around 1:00 p.m. to find out every other mother in the state of Indiana had the same idea. There were crying children everywhere and the new koala exhibit was packed. Even though I don’t like crowds or background noise, I’m able to cope well at the zoo, because we can leave after making our 30 minute loop.

Before we left, we rode the zoo train. I’ve never been all that interested in riding the train to see the maintenance area nor have I wanted to buy the tickets to do so, but Meredith was insistent we do just that. Now we can say we’ve done it. Sort of like when I made my grandparents drive me over the Kansas border when we were in western Missouri, just so I could add another state to my exotic travels log.

Alex was dead set on seeing the butterflies at the botanical gardens. He stood as still as a statue waiting for one to land on him. Meredith flitted around the exhibit like a moth, and guess which child the butterflies were interested in…
Those are the still pudgy-sweet hands of a three year old.

If you’ve ever wondered whether or not my children get tired of my camera:

But then they do something sweet like this and I forgive their total lack of appreciation for their mother’s effort to document their lives.

No comments: