Monday, June 30, 2008

So far, I’ve known every family for whom I’ve done a portrait session.. I love this, because it gives me a chance to capture the families as I know them to be. I don’t have to pose them really, I just follow them around and wait for stuff to happen. This weekend, I had my first experience shooting a family I’d never met before.

Sunday morning I shot Erin S.'s family. Erin does Jill’s hair and Jill was kind enough to refer Erin to me. Jill called from Erin’s chair and set the whole thing up, which is exactly what I need. I have a really hard time self-promoting, which is almost an assurance of failure when growing a business. If I want to grow, I’m going to have to get over it. Blech.

The family chose a park near their home. It’s a beautiful park in Noblesville, complete with a covered bridge. The park consists mainly of walking trails through a forest and along the White river. Light wasn’t plentiful, it was muddy, and their son is a typical 16 month old boy. He wasn’t about to hold still for a second, so I had to be fast! He was a piece of cake to get to smile though. On command, and without the forced look my kids always seem to share.

I was so glad I grabbed a couple of shots of Erin and Sullivan together. I think it’s so important for every child to have a picture of himself with his mom. That’s a bond to be celebrated.

1 comment:

A. Reed said...

That first shot is fabulous. Love the color!