Friday, February 15, 2008

My justification for a Mac

Our computer, which Brandon and Alex periodically "upgrade" themselves, is fussy. The last few days it's been in full tantrum mode and refuses turn on at will. So, I've not been able to post and while I'm sure all of you are lost without updates about my thrilling life, I've missed being able to write! I'm posting from Brandon's laptop, without access to pictures, so this will be a little text heavy.

Valentine's Day was a bigger deal this year at our house than it's ever been. Both kiddos are old enough to realize what the day is all about...c-a-n-d-y. They have eaten a steady diet of Hershey's kisses and Sour Patch Kids for two days. Not that it matters to me this evening as they are staying all night with Grandpa and Grandma.

Alex is a by the rules kind of guy. I bought Sweet-tarts to stick in his valentines, knowing full well his principal works part time as a food cop. The man is wonderful, but he has a beef with fun food. Alex loves the morning announcments at school, which are made by his principal. He plays really close attention to them, and often recreates them over his little tape recorder with a microphone when he gets home. Of course, the principal had to mention the day before Valentine's day that no one was allowed to bring candy. I told Alex maybe we would just go ahead and send it anyway. What followed was a tongue lashing like I haven't had in years. "MOM!!! Our school motto is 'Make Good Choices! Do the Right Thing!' I can't just take candy! It's against the rules!!! It was in the announcements!!!" I'm sorry, but pencils and erasers are not fun no matter how you package them.

Meredith's school on the other hand, is a free for all. If you want to bring a three layered cake personalized for each child, have at it. Meredith hauled home more candy than the Trading Post and asked if it could be Valentine's Day for 'one more ittsy bitsy day?!"

Don't feel badly for Alex. Between me and his over indulgent grandparents his teeth are sure to suffer.

Brandon sent flowers the day before Valentine's day, and after spotting the box on the porch, (You didn't think he ordered them any other way than on-line did you?) Meredith announced she was sure they were for her wedding. She's really into all things bridal lately. I explained to her that the flowers were sent to me from Daddy, Alex, and her, according to the card. Meredith looked at me and said, "You're welcome."

Brandon surprised me with dinner out this evening, which is why the kids are overnighting at G&G's. We had a great dinner at McCormick and Schmick's downtown, and I have to get on a Weight Watchers scale tomorrow at 8:00 a.m. I'm off to run around our neighborhood wearing a weight belt and coveralls.

No comments: