Monday, February 25, 2008

Unexpected gifts

My in-laws have a knack for giving us gifts we didn’t realize we needed. As a college graduation gift, they gave me (who wasn’t yet engaged to their son) a set of cookware. I was confused because I already had one pot and one pan. The pan had a lid, which made it perfect for making Rice-A-Roni® and why would I need anything else? Chances are Beckman remembers this pan, because it had a faux copper lid. Classy.

The Christmas we were expecting Alex, they gave us a carpet steamer. Our carpets seemed fine at the time, but we thought it would be nice to be able to give them a good scrub every once in awhile. Nearly six years later, we’ve finally discovered what they were really thinking…

We went to dinner with our friends the Campbells Saturday evening. We went to our favorite hole in the wall barbeque place, G.T. South’s. If you think I’m exaggerating about its ambiance; you should know the last time we went there for dinner with the Campbells a ceiling tile fell out of the ceiling and onto an old man’s head. He proceeded to put on a real show, and dialed a personal injury attorney from his booth. We keep going back because their food is amazing, it’s cheap, and they fixed the tile.

Our kids ate like farm hands. They have loads of kid friendly sides, so they can both find something they love. Meredith picked at her BBQ, but stuffed her face with mashed “btatoes,” and green beans. The kids were their usual selves, and Meredith put on one of her traditional tap demonstrations table-side before we left.

After we got home, the kids had baths and went to bed. At 2:00 a.m. Meredith tapped me on the shoulder and said, “Mommy, I need you help. I frowed up in my bed, and on the floor.” I made the trip to her room and soon found she was telling the truth. For whatever reason, our kids have an urge to travel while they get sick. They don’t just stay in one spot, they make a journey out of it.

NOW we know why my in-laws gave us a carpet steamer. What seemed like an odd gift to expectant parents now makes perfect sense. Our kids never eat anything like chicken noodle soup or sandwiches on white bread before getting sick. They wait until we’ve had anything with a red-based sauce. Jill C., putting hardwoods in your kids’ rooms was probably the smartest move ever made by a mom.

I slept with Meredith and a bowl for the remainer of the night. I stayed awake most of the time preparing for the dread of having whatever this was sweep through our family. To my surprise, Meredith woke up feeling fine and still seems to be. Knock on wood!

Yesterday was a very lazy day. I was like a zombie after the sleepless night and took a two hour nap with Meredith. I was afraid everyone else would get whatever Meredith had, so I spent the day offering meals of bland foods and disinfecting. Brandon and Alex played Wii the majority of the day, and while I wasn’t thrilled; I really didn’t have the energy to care.

Today I’m going to have to do some laundry aside from bed clothes, because as Alex pointed out to me this morning, he’s down to soccer socks.

As a reminder, today is the last day the blog will be accessible without an invitation, so if you want to keep reading, please let me know.

1 comment:

A. Reed said...

Your posts are so well written. Hope the bug doesn't spread thru the family. We have hardwood in the whole house, a complete life saver. Thanks for the invite!! ps, I ordered my 50mm lens. Yay!